The journey of two guys ( with one cat & lot of great friends) trying to get through life and expand their family through surrogacy in Thailand.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Emotional Restraint vs. Hope

Every nurse faces the same challenge at some point in their career. I faced it last semester during a clinical rotation for my nursing program. I was part of a cardiac code team; pounding on a woman’s chest as the rest of the team provided her with oxygen and various meds in an effort to resuscitate her. But we failed, and just like that she was gone.

When the physician told me to stop compressions, I stepped back, took a few deep breaths as he called the time of death…and I felt numb. This was part of my training. As nurses we are taught to care for our patients like we would want our loved ones to be treated. We are also taught to distance ourselves emotionally. For a good ten or fifteen minutes, I achieved that goal. I had given all I had to give, while still trying to protect my own emotions. It was while we were preparing her body for the family to view that it hit me. I saw one of the techs remove her wedding ring to give to her husband, and with that, the numbness cleared. I promptly excused myself, went to the bathroom, locked myself in a stall and cried until the burning in my eyes forced me to stop.

It remains a mystery to me how we are supposed to care for someone in such a deep way and then not feel broken inside when our best attempts to save them fail. The good news? I cried a little less the next time this happened.

I have tried to approach this surrogacy journey with the same caution. I try to hope for the best…but only in an emotionally restrained way. I can nurture the idea of having a child, but I have to stay emotionally distanced to protect myself. But every once in a while I can feel myself slipping, and today I allowed myself to do something dangerous.

We got a report from our agency telling us that our Egg Donor had a preliminary scan that showed 20 follicles developing. I became really excited. This was the first news that we’ve gotten that makes me feel like it’s all actually coming together and that’s when it happened: I let myself really hope that this will all work out. I threw away my restraint, and let myself really hope.

The problem with that is, the further you get your hopes up, the further they have to fall.

I know when it comes to IVF and surrogacy, there are no guarantees. But despite my best efforts, I’ve already managed to: mentally design a nursery, wander down the baby aisle at Target, start thinking about names I like, start eliminating names I don’t like, and start making up new and inventive names like “Ragdoll Curtain-rod” …you know, in case I take off as a celebrity. This is all very well… but it’s also a game of emotional roulette. What if this doesn’t work out, and all I’m left with is the image of a nursery that my little Justin Case will never exist to use? (Hey, if Kim and Kanye can have a kid named North West, I can have a kid named Justin Case…but really, celebrities need to stop with the cruel names.)

Financially, this process isn’t cheap. We’re extremely fortunate to be able to try this even once, as we fully realize there are others who don’t have that luxury. However, we can only afford a certain number of tries until we would be forced to take a hiatus in order to reestablish our funds. I think some people assume that because Frankie is a physician, we’re rolling in money; when in reality we’ve only done that once and it was after a very odd night in Vegas that we choose not to speak of… (Because you know what they say, “What happens in Vegas, makes you feel like you need a shower and antibiotics”… What’s that? That isn’t Vegas’s motto? Huh.)  In all seriousness, we’re not struggling, but we’re not thriving just yet either. Medical school isn’t cheap, and we have a combined student loan debt that exceeds the cost of the average home here in the US and last month Frankie’s loans came out of deferment, so it's time to pay the piper.  If we ever want to have a mortgage or perhaps a college fund for any children we might be fortunate enough to have, we need to work on paying down our own debts. To sum it up, when it comes to more attempts from scratch: Our spirits are willing, but our pocket books are weak. 

So, I try desperately to keep myself in a state of restraint, but hope is a powerful emotion. I’ve allowed myself to get too close to patients, and that’s left me in tears. I can’t allow myself to become too close to the idea of a child that might never come in to existence because I’m afraid of what that might do to me inside.


 But what I can do is cautiously wish for one of those 20 follicles to develop, be fertilized and become something that will make our lives complete. I can cautiously wish, and leave the rest to fate. 

9 comments:

  1. 20 follicles is a fabulous start. You are allowed to be excited and allowed to be happy, keep your hope alive, worse case scenario, it doesn't work first time, it will soon enough thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. 20 follicles really is a great start...that's what makes it that much more difficult to keep a level head. I'm resolved to remain cautiously optimistic, but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. :0) I suppose only time will tell.

      Delete
  2. Our journey has, as you know not been an easy one. I completely understand the desire to compartmentalize and distance yourself as way to retain some semblance of sanity. However, a few months ago, a very wise friend told me that no matter what the outcome, you are going to feel awful if things don't go the way you want them to. Maybe you could allow yourself a few moments of hope, and celebrate whenever you can as much as you feel safe doing on that particular day.

    Lastly, as a family that spends a lot of time in healthcare facilities, I have to tell you that knowing that caregivers are empathetic enough to cry over our loved ones means more than words can ever say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a great perspective. Generally speaking, I'm always an upbeat, half glass full kind of guy (or more like a "my glass is only half full...where is that bartender? ;-p) and will continue to be. It's just who I am.

      But the issue is that sometimes I become too hopeful and let those emotions override my logic. I just need to find that balance of being hopeful without setting myself up for unnecessary disappointment. Like your friend wisely said, there will always be some degree of hurt when things don't go your way. It's just a matter of minimizing the hurt while still allowing yourself to enjoy the process as much as possible. :0)

      But, I guess learning to balance those emotions is just part of the surrogacy learning curve. ;0)

      As for the healthcare part, I'm consistently amazed by some of the nurses who mentor me in my clinical rotations. Many of them have been nurses longer than I've been alive, and they still treat every patient they meet with compassion, care, and dignity. They're truly an inspiration, and consistently remind me that nursing without care is not nursing at all. In my opinion, I can't think of a more true statement.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's looking really great! Im excited for you and will be making many many wishes for an extra big fat positive result! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to hear more from you as the date approaches. So very happy and excited for you and your husband! :0)

      Delete
  4. Justin, you got 20 Justin Case and you are trying to manage your own expectation?! Look at me, I only have 1 Eskimo Bean and I am so optimistic! When it is meant to be, it will happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't look at it as managing expectations so much as managing excitement! 20 is more than we could have hoped for, and it's really hard not to get overly excited at news like that.

      But I'm trying to keep a level head and remember that this is only the first scan, and that number can always change. But honestly, even if we had only half that number, we would still be happy. :0) And you're right....when it is meant to be, it will happen.

      I am also keeping a very optimistic outlook for you! I suppose that's the funny thing. I never hold back my natural optimism for people that aren't me. All the best to you! :0)

      Delete
    2. Thankyou! All the best to you 2 :)

      Delete