The journey of two guys ( with one cat & lot of great friends) trying to get through life and expand their family through surrogacy in Thailand.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Two Guys Vs. Ten Days

Wow. I can’t believe we’re here. So the short of it is that we’re now in our ten day wait. I was expecting a two week wait, so ten days really doesn't seem that bad. But you can still imagine how slowly time seems to be moving. So, I've come up with fun ways to help time pass more quickly:

Teach Willow to jump through a hoop of fire.

Obsessively check my email to make sure I have the date of the pregnancy test correct.

Teach Willow to sleep on her head. (Already in progress)

Obsessively recheck my email just in case there was an update that didn't get forwarded to my phone, despite the fact that this has never happened in the past.

Teach Willow to ignore me when I call her name. (She’s all over that one)

Send myself a test email from one email account to another to make sure I’m getting my email in a timely manner.

Work on my wound care skills on the scratches Willow will give me while teaching her to jump through a hoop of fire.

And last but not least, ask my Thai family to send me daily emails from Thailand to ensure that the NSA isn’t blocking Thai emails to my account.

Yeah….it’s going to be a fun ten days.

Now, the long of it is a bit more involved. At the three day mark, Frankie had 7 good embryos, and I had 8. However, the morning of the transfer we were notified that unfortunately only 3 of Frankie’s embryos had made it to day five, and only one of them was of good quality. :-/  I still have 8, which is awesome but somewhat irrelevant given that our plans revolve around having a child genetically related to him. (He gets 6 weeks off at half pay for paternity leave, but it’s unclear if the pay or leave would apply to a child born that’s not genetically related to him.)

I suppose this is where the great 3 day vs 5 day transfer debate comes in to play. Did we save ourselves a lot of time and money by waiting until day 5 to make sure we only transferred strong, viable embryos? Or, did we needlessly loose embryos because they were in media longer than they needed to be? I really don’t know the answer, but I do know we knew that All IVF transferred on day 5, so it’s nothing we didn't sign up for. While it’s not an ideal outcome, with IVF you never know what will happen, so you just have to roll with the punches.

So, the embryo with a “good” rating, and a not so good embryo were transferred to our surrogate yesterday, and Frankie has one more not so good embryo frozen. Whether or not it would be worth trying again with that embryo remains to be seen. So, this might be our only shot with his material this time around. It certainly wouldn't put us out of the game just yet…but it would be a set-back.

However, we've decided not to worry about it just yet. What’s the point?! All it takes is one. And there’s as good a chance as any that one of those little blastocysts will be the one. And if not, well…. we’ll deal with it later.

And here are the little cell clusters we’re hoping will cling on to that lining:



So, for the next ten days we remain cautiously optimistic and hope for the best.  Fingers crossed. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh that is so exciting! I am sending many positive vibes for you and keeping everything possible crossed!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an underwhelming number of embryos both times we did IVF, but we had overwhelming results on the first try each time. Wishing you both similar luck in the coming days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! And you're totally right. With a process like this, you never know what you'll get. :o) Hope you're well.

      Delete
    2. Hey-- just emerging from a hiatus on surrogacy blogs and saw your wonderful news. I'm thrilled you guys are in the 2WW period. Best of luck. I know how nervewracking (sp?) it can be. Just for your info, we had 30 follicles (I think), 23 eggs retrieved and just 7 embryos that made it to day 5, which were split 4/3 between the two of us. Anyway, thrilled for you guys and can't wait to read your post when you're pregnant.

      Delete
    3. Hey Guys! Yes, sometimes a break is good for mental health! We're really excited to be here. Even if things don't come out favorably, the fact that we've made it this far is a huge step and gives us confidence that we can keep going.
      The drop in numbers going into day 5 is pretty brutal, but there's really no getting around it. And when push comes to shove, it is nice to know what type of embryo is being implanted, instead of going with day 3 and not really knowing.

      Thanks for the encouragement. :o)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ben! I hope life with your little one is awesome! :o)

      Delete